Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Strawberry Delight

I promise the strawberry posts are coming to an end. 

Yesterday, we had our strawberry themed play-date with our play group. I co-hosted with my friend J. I swear, a lot of the time, we share the same mind....we both attempted to make Strawberry Shortcake Cookies.


I'm just gonna through it out there - Martha Stewart, sometimes your recipes just don't work. J said hers turned out a gooey hot mess. While mine, although edible, just don't taste like strawberry shortcake. 

Bubba even spit his cookie out. So, that tells ya right there, not a winner. 

My Strawberry Bread, however, was divine. 






Martha Stewart, can you say winner, winner, chicken dinner? 

Yea. It is. 

So make it. And definitely make it into muffins like I did, because I think it makes it better. {I made 2 dozen regular size muffins and 1 dozen mini muffins}

I also made a very easy Strawberry Lemonade - that I don't have a photo of; but the recipe is simple. 

4 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup lemon juice
1+ pint(s) strawberries

Puree strawberries in a blender; set aside. 
Heat water until just before boiling. 
Remove from stove and add sugar. lemon juice, and strawberry puree. 
Stir until combined. 
Refrigerate.

*I'm not exactly sure how much strawberry I used; but I think it was just over a pint. 

This sweet boy, is J's oldest son. Showing off his crafting skills, making a Scented Strawberry.


Such a super simple craft for kids. I used this berry template {I printed out two - cut the leaf off one, and used one for the berry}. Cut out the berry on construction paper or thick card stock. Paint it red, and add black dots for the seeds. 


Place the leaf on top while the paint is still wet. Sprinkle with strawberry scented Kool-aid or Jello. 


I can't believe I got these treat boxes made. I was literally sitting in my car at the park, weaving twine through the last few boxes to finish. But they are so cute! So I'm glad someone finished them. 


Of course, this is not an original idea {how I wish I could take credit for this}. 

I'm not exactly sure where this pattern originated, but I have seen it on a few blogs with a basic tutorial.

So here is what I did:


Cut out pattern on {your choice of} heavy card stock, and fold where the dotted lines indicate. I also folded straight along the top to create flaps where the string will be woven through to close off the top of the berry - and, ya know, give it the berry shape. 

Sorry I didn't make lines to show you this part, but you can see what I'm talking about in the pictures below. 

Glue tab to inside of box
Weave twine, ribbon, string through holes of berry.
Don't forget to fill your boxes with treats before tying it shut.

I used chocolate for Bubba, and jelly beans for all of our friends {I didn't want to bring chocolate to the park in the Florida heat - yuck; however, it did end up being a pleasantly cool morning, so that was nice}.
 


Tie on leaf top.
Sweet strawberry treat boxes. 
I hope you have a "berry" good time making everything! 

No comments:

Post a Comment