Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Baking Sensory Box


This morning, in the middle of eating breakfast, Bubba pulled out the mini muffin tin we bought yesterday and said "Mama, I bake." To which I replied, "Well alright then, let's bake."

A few days ago, I saw a post on The Imagination Tree for a baking sensory box, and no lie, my exact thought was "that is so cute. I really think we should make this since Bubba loves to help me cook." 


I rummaged through my pantry, and found a few food items to put in the box...oats, nuts, and a Bear Naked trail mix {that I opened and really didn't like....so why not use it for pretend play}; gathered some cooking utensils, mini muffin liners, and a cook book, and let him go to town.

Reading the recipe

Mixing the ingredients

Filling the baking cups

We slowly brought out other "props," as well. He needed his little stove/oven to bake his cakes,


waiting for the timer to go off

which led to the oven mitts because the pan was hot,


and ultimately meant he would need the cooling rack so the cakes could cool.


I don't know if you can see it, but there is white all around his mouth from his yogurt. As I said, he was in the middle of eating breakfast, when he all of a sudden had the urge to bake. This kid is too funny. 


This turned out to be such a great idea...and I am so happy Bubba asked to do it. He played for an hour - before we left for the library/park - and when we got home, went straight back to cook some more.


When you take your child's lead, you never know where the day will take you!

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome...love the pictures! I need to head to the $ Tree to buy some oatmeal and props..

    ReplyDelete