Monday, January 16, 2012

Gasparilla and a Painted Pirate Rug

Christmas has come and gone, the new year is upon us, and my favorite time of year has finally arrived....Gasparilla! If you don't know about the Gasparilla Pirate Fest then you are missing out probably not from Tampa. In short, it is a parade...people dress up as pirates, throw out beads, have lots of fun. 

We love pirates here at Country Farm Place; I, may or may not, have a slight - but totally normal - obsession. So naturally I have to decorate my house for the occasion, and I needed another rug for my kitchen anyway; I put the Christmas one away, and it is too early for my flowery Spring/Summer rug.

I have never seen a Gasparilla rug sold anywhere (and, believe me, if someone made them, they would be a HIT with all the people who live in South Tampa), so I decided to make my own.

I was inspired by this Ikea rug makeover, over at A Little Bit of Everything, and I have been itching to try my hand at using freezer paper. {Side-note: she didn't use freezer paper to make her stencil}.


I did a freehand drawing of a skull and cross bones. This is the first one I did; I ended up scraping this one though (I just forgot to take a picture of the second one - it was late, I wasn't thinking). If you have a picture that you want to use, print it out and trace it onto your freezer paper (shiny side down).


After I painted the skull, and let it dry, I laid out the letters. Then, traced the words onto the freezer paper and cut them out. Remember, to keep the inside pieces (like for the "O's" or "A's"), if you need them.


Add some fabric paint, and you're done.

This is such an easy way to customize your own rug! I even picked one up for our bedroom. I got this Erslev rug from Ikea. I tried to find it on the website, but had no such luck. I ended up just walking around the rug department at Ikea, and stumbled upon the last 2 in the bin. If you checked out A Little Bit of Everything, I used the same rug as her, except mine is in white, and her's is in green.

If you're like me, and using freezer paper for the first time, Dana Made It, has a great little tutorial. The final (and most important step) is to iron over the paint to seal the finish....so don't forget that!

Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment