Tuesday, April 10, 2012

DIY Vintage Record Cake Stands


I had intended on making a drum related center piece/cake stand for the shower. But ended up going a different music related route. I keep referring to the baby shower as a "little drummer" theme, but it was actually more of a music theme with drums being our main instrumental focus. 

I was inspired by these vintage record cake plates; but what I ended up doing is a simplified version. {I didn't even realize that they used candlesticks as their base until I went back to find the link for this post}


Prime and paint the candlesticks.


I used Krylon spray paint and primer. Then used a clear matte finish spray. 


There is a screw pictured, but I didn't end up using it. 

I just hot glued the record to the base. Hot glue works well enough, but I would suggest using a heavy duty super glue if you have it on hand. I didn't {and didn't want to run out and buy any}, so the hot glue worked for me.  


I stacked two together {but did not glue them}, and used a smaller record on top to make a 2-tiered cake stand. 

Also, it's worth noting, even though I wiped down the records before using them, since I didn't use the plexi glass, I laid down a napkin for the little pastries on the center stand to sit on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment