Thursday, March 1, 2012

Furniture Makeover: Hubby's Desk

I'm working on cleaning up our mess of an office/spare bedroom. Little by little it is coming along. I started by filling the [empty wall]. Next up, is painting Hubby's desk. 


We bought it off of Craig's List awhile back with good intentions to paint it; but, of course, since we had no idea what we were going to do with the room, painting never happened. 


I sanded, primed, and painted. 

For a couple reasons, I didn't use spray paint for this project. (1) I had to color match the paint. Hubby decided he wanted a green desk, and while I wouldn't have chosen that color, I said alright and had the nice guys in the Lowe's paint section match one of the green's from the fabric hanging on the wall. (2) I didn't feel like dragging this desk outside by myself. It's kind of a pain. And I certainly was not going to spray paint in the house. 

Anyway, I wasn't to fond of the color at first; but a little distressing goes a long way {I wish you could just hop through your computer screen into my house to see this in person, because the picture really doesn't do it justice}...


I'm still adjusting to the weird green color, but I like it better distressed; and maybe if I change the handles I'll like it better {I decided to keep the old handles for the time being - mainly because I forgot to buy new ones while at Lowe's getting paint, and I haven't wanted to make another trip back to the store}. 

No matter how I feel about the color, Hubby will be happy that I listened to him and painted his desk green, and that's all that matters. 

The makeover was not complete with just the color though...



I picked up this old Atlas at a yard sale, and wasn't really sure what I was going to do with it.


On a few other blogs, I've seen others lining their desk drawers with pages of old books, so I thought that would be perfect for this desk {especially, since the drawers were lined with this flowery loveliness previously}.


Hubby travels A LOT, so I thought the idea of using the atlas pages for the drawer liners was a fun idea. All of the pages I used have the countries/places that he has been/is currently in. I was actually feeling kind of bad as I was ripping the pages from the book. Part of me hates destroying old things...but it was for a good cause. 

I like the overlapping look, but if you're not a fan of that then you can certainly take the time to line the pages up neatly. I was also working on this in between chasing Bubba around, and having a play date {at our house} with 2 other little cuties, so overlapping was much quicker to get done. 

Last, I had to re-organize all of the junk Hubby's stuff inside the drawers.

I promise you that we went through these drawers together and organized everything, so I honestly do not know how these drawers ended up looking like a hot mess. What I think happened is that Hubs would secretly throw stuff in the drawers when I would ask him to put something anyway because he knows I would never look in desk for anything...he would probably deny this though.

Anyway, back to organizing. A few weeks ago I bought a flat of strawberries {from Plant City...best strawberries ever! so excited for the Strawberry Festival!!} and saved the little baskets the strawberries came in hoping to find a good use for them soon. 


And what do you know...I did find a use for them! 

Hubs is an IT guy {I fondly refer to him as Gadget Geek}, so we have a million {this is not an exaggeration} computer parts and cords all over the place. Well, not all over the place, mainly in the office; but it sure feels like they are scattered all over the room sometimes. 

The little baskets are perfect for corralling loose computer parts and cords in the drawers. I love it - so neat and organized!

No comments:

Post a Comment