Thursday, January 5, 2012

In the Kitchen - French Breakfast Donuts


Hubby got me a mini donut maker for Christmas. I asked for a cotton candy machine (yes, I am a 5 year-old at heart...don't judge me), but this turned out to be just as good. 

After, a week of Bubba asking for donuts, I finally gave in, and we made them for breakfast one morning. 

I don't even know what was stopping me from making these! So delicious! And the perfect little size. 

The recipe I used came from the instruction manual. The only thing I changed was the type of flour - I used whole wheat. 


It only look me about 5 minutes to whip up the batter, and 3-5 minutes for each batch to bake. {Side-note: the first couple batches only took 3 minutes, but the last batch took 5}


I made 18 mini donuts out of the batter.


Bubba's breakfast. 
{He definitely had more then 2 of these babies for breakfast, but the grapes and whole wheat flour make up for that, right?}


Anything covered in cinnamon and sugar is my favorite; so naturally, I have to say these are amazingly yummy....but Bubba does not disagree.

Oh, and do you notice that mess in the background?


Bubba thought he was The Hulk (not that he even know who that is). His favorite part? After I cleaned up all of the packing peanuts, he jumped right back in the box and did it again....yea. so. much. fun.

Back to the original topic....

French Breakfast Donuts
5 Tbs. butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cup flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbs. melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

1) Mix butter and sugar thoroughly. Add egg and mix well.
2) Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg together.
3) Add dry ingredients alternately with milk.
4) Fill pre-heated oil Donut Maker with donut batter and bake for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
5) Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
6) Once done, take out of pan immediately and dip tops in melted butter, then sugar and cinnamon mixture.
7) ENJOY! 

{They taste the best when they are nice and hot; but we stored ours in a air tight glass container, and they lasted 3 days}

So, if your Hubby randomly got you a mini donut maker for Christmas, as well, then you should definitely give these a try (if you haven't already).

He also got me a donut cookbook (so strange...but very thoughtful), so we will be trying out some different flavor toppings in the coming weeks. I'm thinking the Margarita glaze will be next.....

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment