Wednesday, December 7, 2011

In The Kitchen - Cranberry Tartlets

This recipe actually comes from 2 sources. I first found it in a Thanksgiving issue of Martha Stewart Living, as a "resurrecting Thanksgiving remains" kind of recipe. This is not really what the great people at MSL called it, but you get the idea. But here we are weeks after Thanksgiving, and I had yet to make it.

Then, one day, while I was laying down with Little Man and browsing Stumble Upon,  I found this delicious looking recipe for Puff Pastry Cherry Blossoms from a blog called Get off your butt and...Bake! I just knew it was a sign telling me get off my butt and make these tartlets/cherry blossoms that I have been putting off for so long.

I was in luck too! I had a leftover package of puff pastry sheets sitting in my freezer waiting to be used.
 Except, I didn't have any pie filling, and wasn't about to mess with trekking to the store with Little Man. Thanks to the awesome Thanksgiving sales, I had a bag of cranberries waiting for me in my fridge (yay! for bogos). Sweet! I wiped up a batch of  cranberry sauce, and now had a filler for my delicious treats.

You can check out Get off your butt and...Bake for her step by step instructions; and I definitely recommend using the glaze from her recipe. Or visit MarthaStewart.com for their version. I used a little bit from both, the puff pastry and glaze from the blog, and the cranberry sauce and cooking instructions from Martha. 

I followed the instructions exactly from the blog, and the first batch ended up being a total FAIL.


I put them on the cookie sheet as instructed, and ended up with these blobs. I took these out after the 20 minutes, and had to put them back in the oven. I found my puff pastry dough to still be raw in the middle after that amount of time.

Nevertheless, they still tasted awesome; they just didn't look to appealing - but that didn't stop me from eating pretty much all of them.

So the second batch, I placed the little tartlets in a muffin tin, and put them in the freezer for about 15 minutes before baking - like Martha suggests (she actually says to do it for 30 minutes, but 15 works fine). I upped the temperature to 400ยบ, and let them bake for 30 minutes. 


The plate on the left is the second batch. 


Remember to spray the muffin tin (if using it) with non-stick spray first; the tartlets will be difficult to get out without it. 

Side note: the glaze is sooooo yummy! I highly recommend not skimping on that - as I did (not by choice; I just didn't have enough vanilla to make a whole batch). 

Happy Baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment