Wednesday, October 12, 2011

In The Kitchen - Stuffed Apples

Every month or so, I get together with a few friends from my Mom's Group for a recipe exchange. This month was Fall themed (obviously), and I made these amazing stuffed apples. I found a few recipes on Pinterest, and combined them to create this one. {Side-note: if you haven't visited Pinterest before, you should! It is seriously addicting. If you need an invite, let me know, and I'll send you one}. 


 Ingredients:
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup Dried Cranberries
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbs Trans fat free butter or margarine
6 Gala apples, cored
1/2 cup Apple Juice

Pour apple juice in the bottom of a crock pot, and place washed/cored apples on top. Combine brown sugar, walnuts, cranberries, cinnamon, and butter. Stuff apples. Cover. Cook on high approx. 2 1/2 - 3 hours or low 4-5 hours. 


The end result! They were a hit at my MNI (Mom's Night In)! I cooked mine on high for 4 hours, then just turned my crock-pot to warm until I left for my friend's house (2 hours later). 

Notes:
1) You can use as many or as few apples as you would like. Add about 2 Tbs brown sugar per extra apple. 

2) The dried cranberries can be substituted for raisins; or you can use both.

3) If you don't keep apple juice on hand (or just don't want to use it), cider can be used; or this site suggested 1/2 cup water mixed with 2 tsp vanilla. I used 1 pouch of Honest Kids Organic Apple Juice, because that is what I had available.

4) The butter can be omitted. 

These would make for a great after school snack as well. I'm thinking there are so many possibilities of things to stuff in these apples...so get creative! Let me know how you like them, and if you changed up the recipe at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment