Friday, October 14, 2011

Holiday Crafts - Jar-O-Lanterns

Day                            Night 

Remember those mason jars a bought a couple weeks ago when I went to some yard sales with Hubby? Well, here is the project I've been working on with them.

I was originally planning on turning them into hanging lanterns for our deck. But, while flipping through this month's Southern Living, I found this great idea (click for the tutorial)

They were so easy to make; I even had Little Man, and my 7 year old cousin helping to paint. 

A couple tips:

1) Don't use Tempura Finger Paints. 
This is the only orange paint I had in the house, and I was being too cheap (and kind of lazy) to go out and buy a different kind. It worked well enough, bought I had to do about 3 coats; and it took forever to completely dry between coats. Also, being outside in our humid weather makes them kind of sticky.

2) It might be easier to print out a face template
I tried both black paint and sharpie, and wasn't 100% pleased with how they turned out (up close you would be able to see what I'm talking about). You can find templates here. These come from Ms. Martha Stewart.com. Her version of the Jar-O-Lantern is a bit different (you paint the inside instead of the outside) than Southern Living's, but the templates will work just the same. 

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment