Friday, September 30, 2011

In The Kitchen - Fruit Leather

This is a great recipe for Homemade Fruit Leather. It's easy to make, tastes great, and so much healthier than eating fruit snacks (which my family is addicted to). I found this recipe in an issue of Parents magazine a couple months ago, and have made a few versions of it already - strawberry is my favorite and Little Man enjoys just about any flavor. I like to stock up on berries and other fruit when they are cheap in the summer and freeze them to use for smoothies and things like this. 

Ingredients
4 cups of berries 
2 Tbs honey

Puree berries and honey in a blender or food processor. In this batch I only used 2 cups of berries and a little less than 1 Tbs of honey. The first time I made this I used exactly 2 Tbs and thought that it overpowered the berries (raspberries in that instance).

Spread the mixture evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. 

Bake 3-4 hours at 200ºF, or until the mixture feels dry and is no longer sticky. After about 3 hrs 45 min, check it often! Let it cool, then slice (or tear, that's what I normally do) into strips. 

I took mine out a bit to early. So what is pictured on the right is not quite set. However, I let it dry over night, and was able to peal it off in the morning. Store the strips in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment