Monday, December 19, 2011

Kids and Crafts

Last week was a whirlwind for us! On top of activities every day, my good friend's daughters stayed with us for three days, while she and her new hubby were on their honeymoon. 

The oldest is a very crafty little girl, so I made sure to scour Pinterest in advance to make sure I had fun things for her to do. 

The last time we had a slumber party, we made these very basic, easy to sew tote bags; and she could not stop talking about the next bag we make. 


Well, you know how much I love to upcycle. So we started out by making these adorable t-shirt tote bags.  


Now we just needed things to go inside. We followed up the bags with our DIY Snowglobes - inspired by Martha Stewart, but of course ours are WAY better. 

They are super easy to make! All you need is a jar, glitter, mini figurines, epoxy (or any waterproof super glue will work, we used Loctite Stik N Seal), and glycerine (optional).


We used mason jars, but you could use any old jar laying around. If you're like me, and hang on to every empty spaghetti sauce jar, then I'm sure you have a few spares lying around. 

Glue the figurines to the inside of the lid, and let it COMPLETELY dry. We let ours dry overnight to be sure the figurines weren't going anywhere. 

Fill the jar almost to the top with water, and if using glycerine, and a few drops at this time. It is supposed to keep the glitter from falling to quickly, however, I didn't notice a difference in the ones we used glycerine in and the ones we didn't. 

Sprinkle in the glitter, and put the lid on. 


Okay, so some things that I discovered in this process: 

1) don't use figurines that have red felt on them - note how the water is a bit discolored in the jar that contains the penguin. 

2) pick figurines that have small bases, or use jars with larger lids - we weren't able to fit more than 2 figurines in a jar because the bases were so big. 

Lastly, since the jar with the moose in it is going to be a gift, I painted the lid with chalkboard paint, and wrote a little message on the bottom. I'd show you, but I don't want to give away who it is going to. Just trust me, it's cute. 

We also made one of my A-bottle-able Snow Men. So Little Girl's bag was nice a full when she went home on Saturday night. 

Check out the links and enjoy the crafts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment