Thursday, October 27, 2011

In the Kitchen - Caramel Apple Bites

Today, is my SAHM Group Halloween Hot Dog Roast. We all usually bring something to share, and of course I waited until the last minute to figure out what I was going to bring. Then, I remembered these caramel and candy apples bites that I saw on Pinterest, and thought I would give them a try. 


Luckily, I bought these caramels a couple of weeks ago when they were BOGO at Publix. I followed the instructions on the back of the package for the caramel apples. The only exception is that I didn't use a whole bag. Mainly because I had already eaten a lot of the caramels; but also because I was making bite size pieces, so I didn't need that much anyway.

All you need is 2 Tbs of water, and the caramel pieces. Melt the caramels over low heat in a medium size pot. 


I cut up 4 small/medium size Granny Smith apples into bit size pieces. And removed the skin from half since there were going to be kids eating these.  Once the caramel was melted, I dipped the pieces in, then set on a lined baking sheet to cool, and placed in the refrigerator for an hour. 


I printed out a few wicked candy apple clip art  from Mrs. Martha Stewart.com as well (like the cool mom who made these the right way from the other blog). They looked and tasted amazing when I first plated them. Then, they sat out for an hour, and the caramel melted and stuck to the plate. So awesome. I didn't even take a picture of that disaster. Check out Try It Mom, to see a better result than mine. 

So, I failed at this one, but you can't win them all. And they tasted pretty amazing either way!


Plus, this little cutie couldn't get enough of 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment